Welcome to Parallel Parks!
Parallel Parks is a bold initiative with a big vision: to make the world’s national parks accessible to all.
As a wellbeing organisation, New Horizons is well aware of the health benefits of adventure and being connected to nature. Sadly, accessing wilderness, let alone the world’s greatest natural wonders, isn’t possible for everyone.
More than a billion people have some form of disability, with as many as 190 million adults having significant difficulty functioning1. That’s at least 7x Australia’s population that may never get to experience the benefits of being immersed in nature.
Our mission is to harness the power of Virtual Reality (VR) to remove barriers and create opportunities to explore the world that millions could once have only dreamt of.
1 Source: World Health Organisation
To realise our vision we face some challenges.
Whilst the tech is evolving quickly, creating truly immersive VR experiences is still tricky business.
Challenge #1: High-Quality Content
Challenge #2: Immersive Experiences
Challenge #3: Accessible Equipment
In facing our challenges, we're inspired by an old saying:
"Most things worth doing aren't easily done."
How you can help make this a reality
Be an ambassador
It takes a community to build a project like Parallel Parks. You can help build the community by following, liking and sharing Parallel Parks content on social media.
Back the project
Contribute as little as a dollar and you can help make our vision a reality. Give $50 and you could win a trip for two to Hamilton Island!
We’ll never share your email with third parties for any reason.
Win* one of two awesome prizes!
Simply pledge $50 or more towards the Parallel Parks initiative and you could win a trip for two to the Great Barrier Reef including air fares and accommodation valued at $5,000, thanks to our friends at Hamilton Island!
Terms & Conditions apply, see below.
Congrat’s to Karen B from Penshurst NSW who won our Pixel XL smartphone + Daydream View VR headset! Thanks for joining us at Martin Place, and for your generous donation which is helping us to make parks accessible for all.
Prize courtesy of New Horizons
Ready to enable people with disability to experience a whole new world?
At New Horizons our promise is to make a difference by putting wellbeing at the heart of everything we do.
By removing barriers to nature for people with disability, Parallel Parks is a bold and innovative demonstration of our commitment to delivering on that promise.
With your support we’ll be enabling people with disability to experience the thrill of adventure via Virtual Reality. Together, let’s make this a reality.
We’ll never share your email with third parties for any reason.
Terms & Conditions
Competition & Prizes
Parallel Parks is an initiative managed by New Horizons Enterprises Limited (New Horizons), 15 Twin Rd North Ryde 2113 Australia, ABN:42002066604
The Parallel Parks prize draws are run by New Horizons and are open to all Australian residents over the age of 18, except for New Horizons employees and Parallel Parks official partners and sponsors.
Major Prize – A trip for two to Hamilton Island, including return airfares (departing from and returning to an Australian mainland airport) and accommodation:
- To be in the draw for the Major Prize, you must contribute $50 or more to our crowd-funding campaign.
- A contribution to the crowd-funding campaign must be marked public to be eligible. Anonymous contributions will not be eligible.
- The crowd-funding campaign will commence on Friday 15 September 2017 at 8am Sydney AU time. Links to contribute to the crowd-funding campaign will be available at the event and on this website at that time.
- Entry to the Major Prize draw will close on Sunday 12 November 2017 at 4.30pm Sydney AU time.
- The winner of the Major Prize will be drawn at random on Monday 13 November 2017 at 10am Sydney AU time. The winner will be notified within two business days.
- A person may enter the Major Prize draw multiple times, with each contribution of $50 or more to the crowd-funding campaign counting as one entry to the competition.
Minor Prize – one Google Pixel phone plus one Daydream VR headset:
- To be in the draw for the Minor Prize, you must attend the launch event on 15 September 2017 at Martin Place Sydney AND contribute between $5.00 to $49.99 to the Parallel Parks crowd-funding campaign.
- Contributions to the Parallel Parks crowd-funding campaign must be marked public to be eligible. Anonymous contributions will not be eligible.
- The crowd-funding campaign will commence on Friday 15 September 2017 at 8am Sydney time. Links to contribute to the crowd-funding campaign will be available at the event and on this website at that time.
- Entry to the Minor Prize draw will close on Friday 15 September 2017 at 4.30pm Sydney AU time.
- The winner of the Minor Prize will be drawn at random on Monday 18 September 2017 at 10am Sydney AU time. The winner will be notified within two business days.
- A person may enter the Minor Prize draw multiple times, with each contribution to the crowd-funding campaign valued of between $5.00 and $49.99 counting as one entry to the Minor Prize draw.
The Major and Minor prize draws are run independently. To enter both draws, a person must make seperate contributions: those of $50.00 or more will entered in the Major Prize draw; those of between $5.00 and $49.99 to will be entered in the Minor Prize draw.
Both prize draws are a game of chance. Both prize draws will be drawn at New Horizons offices at North Ryde. A unique receipt for each contribution will act as a lottery ticket and must be kept by entrants as evidence. New Horizons reserves the right to change the terms of prize draws at any time up to 5pm Sydney AU time on Friday 8 September 2017.
Winners of both prize draws will be posted on our Facebook pages (facebook.com/newhorizonsau and facebook.com/parallelparksau). If a winner cannot be contacted or does not respond within 7 days of notice, New Horizons may elect to re-draw the prize new winner.
New Horizons is the beneficiary of funds raised from the Parallel Parks Prize. At least 80% of the funds raised will go towards making national parks and other environments accessible via Virtual Reality (VR) technology. This may include developing technology, building VR apps, filming VR footage, and making VR equipment available for people with disability.
The first 500 individuals who contribute $30 or more to the crowd-funding campaign will receive a complimentary Google Cardboard VR headset as a token of our appreciation. This item can be collected at the New Horizons booth at the Parallel Parks launch event in Martin Place on 15 September 2017, or it will be mailed to their designated address.
DGR Tax Deductions
New Horizons is registered as Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR). Donations to New Horizons are tax deductible. However, entry into a competition is deemed to have value, and that value is not tax deductible. Each entry into the Major Prize draw is valued at $10.00. Each entry into the Minor Prize draw is valued at $5.00. For tax purposes, only amounts above these values are tax deductible. Tax receipts can be provided upon request by emailing providing evidence of a donation to firstname.lastname@example.org
With the exception of partner logos (or their other trademarks), New Horizons Enterprises Limited holds the copyright on all material on this website, unless otherwise indicated.